Israel and Turkey reach a draft agreement on compensation

Israel and Turkey have reached a draft agreement on compensation for the victims of a deadly 2010 Israeli raid on a Gaza-bound humanitarian aid flotilla.

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said a second meeting between Turkish and Israeli officials was held today in Israel’s Tel Aviv, for negotiations over compensation for a raid by Israel on a Turkish flotilla that resulted in the killing of nine Turkish citizens.

“If a result from the meeting was not obtained, a third meeting could be on the agenda,” Bülent Arınç told members of the press after a Cabinet meeting in Ankara.

After Arınç’s words, the Associated Press reported that a draft agreement on compensation for the victims had been reached by Israel and Turkey, but the Israeli side reportedly said “additional clarifications” were needed on “a few issues.”

A Turkish delegation led by Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Feridun Sinirlioğlu had travel to Tel Aviv for the second round of compensation talks for the families of victims of Mavi Marmara raid by Israel in 2010.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did not reveal details on Monday’s agreement. It said “additional clarifications” were needed on a “few issues.”

Israel and Turkey are working to mend ties that were ruptured after the 2010 raid, which killed eight Turks and one Turkish-American when Israeli commandos stormed a ship bound for the Gaza Strip. Israel maintains a blockade on the territory.

, , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.